The Stamford Centre Volunteer Firemen's Association has a long history in Stamford / Niagara Falls. We started in 1922 as fire protection for the village of Stamford until the eventual amalgamation with Niagara Falls in 1963. Since then we have continued on as a community based service club with our focus being the city of Niagara Falls. We are probably best known for two things: our annual carnival and of course Firemen's Park, our 135 acre wooded conservation area on the Bruce Trail in the north end of the city. This park is wholly owned and maintained by the SCVFA, and is available year-round for use by the community; individuals and groups. Our reach goes much further however; for example, in recent years, the SCVFA gave away the majority of our fundraising to various groups, organizations and special cases. These include: Sports teams, Educational Bursaries, Chair-a-Van, Victorian Order of Nurses car lease, United Way and Children's Camps. Our charitable donations also include financial relief for individual hardship cases such as buying wheelchairs or house renovations for handicapped persons.
After 75 years the SCVFA have sold our old Firehall on Longhurst Av. and are currently building a clubhouse on our beautiful property at Firemen's Park.
On Saturday, September 5th 2009, the sod was turned for the construction of the new building. The Ceremony took place on the site, with President Glen Mercer, Mayor Salci, MPP Kim Craitor and MP Rob Nickelson digging in and breaking ground for the new SCVFA Hall. Short speeches of congratulations were given by Mayor Salci, our MPP Kim Craitor and MP Rob Nickelson.
Start of Foundation